Master’s Degree in Filmmaking
The Georgian American Film Academy at the University of Georgia offers a Master’s degree program in Filmmaking, which provides knowledge of a full cycle of filmmaking – from development to distribution. Students will thoroughly study all the main aspects of filmmaking. The strong point of filmmaking program is intensive practice oriented teaching that involves working on real film projects using state-of-the-art technologies and as a result - creating a student portfolio. In this way, future professionals will master all the skills needed for filmmaking, which will be a key prerequisite for their future employment and career, not only in the field of films production worldwide, but also in the field of advertising and television.
Students will receive the following knowledge and skills:
- Ability to formulate the producer’s vision
- Knowledge of the aspects of reading the script and its detailed discussion with the cast members; highlighting the accents needed for the producer
- Knowledge of creating audiovisual content and managing this field as a business
- Understanding staffing and being able to relate it effectively to your calendar plan and budget
- Knowledge of finding shooting sites, logistics and obtaining shooting permits. Knowledge of working with a creative team on the set
- Knowledge of budgeting and pricing. Knowledge of working with a creative team on a budget and developing vision s tailored to its capabilities
- Ability to formulate the director’s vision
- Knowledge of the essence of copyright and related rights and related local and international laws and regulations
- Knowledge of script structure, characters, their motivations, conflicts and other important aspects of drama
- Ability to select actors suitable for the characters according to the script; ability to organize the process
- Ability to assemble a creative team and establish legal forms of labor relations with them
- Knowledge of making a calendar plan
- Knowledge of forms for presenting a film or other audio-visual project to the public; knowledge of its specific examples (presenting and defending a project to various foundations and other potential sponsors)
- Knowledge of trade unions operating in the industry and their regulations in various countries
- Knowledge of general safety rules for working with stuntmen, pyro-technicians and special effects
- General understanding of editing, sound, color corrections and computer effects
- Knowledge of criteria for participation in international festivals; knowledge of presentation of films
Based on the acquired knowledge, the graduate will be able to produce a film/commercial and other video product independently. She/he will be able to accurately plan the filming process of the audio-visual product and make effective decisions.
The curriculum of the Georgian American Film Academy’s filmmaking program goes beyond the traditional approach by effectively immersing students in intensive, project-based teaching using state-of-the-art technical equipment. Our students master audio-visual art from day one, with appropriate equipment at hand; they write their own screenplay, take on the role of producer director and editor, thus receiving well rounded in depth practical and theoretical knowledge in filmmaking.
Lectures cover the following topics:
- Mastery of a cameraman
- Audio-visual directing
- Mastery of cinematic dramaturgy
- Sound design
- Music and sound in cinema
- Movie painting
- Creative marketing
- Financial accounting in filmmaking
- Legal aspects
- Presentations of films
Where will I get a job?
Graduates will be able to find employment wherever audio-visual product is needed, be it film production and therefore – filmmaking, television and other media outlets, advertising companies and other types of job placement where quality video content is needed, be it for social media or other purposes.